|In This Issue:
|Visit Our Site:
|Mark Your Calendar!
8/25: First Day of Classes
9/1: Labor Day - No Classes
9/2: Last Day to Drop/Add a Class
9/3: Course Withdrawal Begins
10/6-7: Fall Break
10/24: End of Course Withdrawal Period
11/26-28: Thanksgiving Break
12/1: End of Term Withdrawal Period
12/8: Last Day of Classes
12/9-13: Final Exams
12/14: Undergraduate Commencement
12/15: Graduate Commencement
|The WCU Parents Fund E-Newsletter is making it easier for you to stay up-to-date about important academic information, upcoming events, and the latest university news. Stay tuned for the next issue in September!
|Reminders and Tips
|Be sure to check WCU's Financial Aid Website regularly for information on loans, FAFSA and scholarships.
Also, the WCU Foundation has a searchable database of scholarships. Click here to search!
|Planning a visit to WCU soon?
|Click here for campus tour dates, virtual tours of campus, and directions.
|If you no longer wish to receive the WCU Parent
|Click here to email with the subject line "Unsubscribe" and include your first and last name in the body of the e-mail.
|Student Job Opportunity!
Is your student looking for a convenient on-campus part time job?
The WCU Foundation Phonathon is Hiring!
Students can earn money while directly impacting their University!
As a Phonathon Representative, your student will work from a convenient campus location and be able to choose a work schedule that fits their needs. Your student will also enhance their resume, gain strong communication skills, and help raise support for WCU students and programs in a fun, rewarding work environment!
If your student is interested in joining the Phonathon Team, have them complete an application and return to Marilynn Touni at WCU Foundation, PO Box 541, West Chester, PA 19381.
For more information, visit www.wcufoundation.org/phone OR email Marilynn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Important Academic Information
|Get Ready for Fall 2014!
- Check out the 2014 - 2015 Monthly Calendar and mark your calendar with important dates for the year. This is the WCU Registrar's official calendar. It includes the first day of classes, semester breaks, final exam schedules, and more.
- Your student can click here for instructions on scheduling classes and using other functions of his/her MyWCU Account.
- Students should start ordering textbooks as soon as they confirm their classes for the fall. The SSI Bookstore and Dynamic Bookstore sell new and used textbooks.
- PARENTS OF RETURNING STUDENTS who have to complete ACADEMIC RECOVERY PLANS or NO GRADES should remind students to see advisors and professors as soon as possible to complete those academic obligations.
Fall 2014 Semester Bill Due Dates:
- Tuition bills for Fall 2014 were sent electronically to the WCU e-mail account of all registered students and their QuikPAY Authorized Users.
- Fall 2014 Semester Bills are due on August 14th.
- Parents, please review the Office of the Bursar's Parents Page. Here you will find information on paying tuition, payment methods, QuikPAY, refunds, Ram Bucks, NowU, and more!
- It may also be helpful to take a look at the Bursar's Frequently Asked Questions page to answer any financial questions you might have now or in the future.
Financial Aid News
- You can check the status of your financial aid alerts via MyWCU. Also check your student's WCU email account.
- Student loans must be ACCEPTED to appear on your account.
- Accounts must be ACTIVATED for your aid to appear on your account.
- Visit the Financial Aid Parents Page for more information.
- The Schock Financial Aid Office provides Financial Aid TV. Here, you can view videos on financial aid basics, how to apply for financial aid, understanding the FAFSA and more!
Move-In Day 2014
The last month of summer is quickly coming to an end. This means that Move-In Day 2014 is right around the corner! Here is some information to make your move-in process as smooth as possible!
- Move-In Day for new students on North Campus is Friday, August 22.
- Move-In Day for returning students on North Campus is Saturday, August 23.
- Check-in information for both incoming and returning students can be found here.
Not sure what to bring? Residence Life provides a handy check list!
Parents of New Students, you can check-out Residence Life's FAQs, here.
Helpful Move-In Day Tips:
Saying goodbye to your student
- Pack lightly - only what is needed for the first two months. The rest can be brought later!
- Bring a small tool kit with hammers, pliers, and screwdrivers (phillipshead and slotted) to assemble any furniture or to adjust bed heights.
- If you own a handcart, bring it! The university does provide carts to use; however, there may be a long wait to use one.
- Don't panic if you forget something. Wal-Mart, Target, CVS and other stores are close by.
- Bring cleaning supplies. You'll probably want to go over everything, even if the room had been cleaned prior to your arrival.
- Move-In Day can get chaotic; so don't forget to breathe and ENJOY the day!
- Be prepared for unexpected homesickness from your student. Keep your cell phone by your side that night and over the next couple days in case they need someone to talk to.
- Allow your student to contact you when they are settled and have their bearings. Give them space to explore this new experience on their own.
- Bring a camera and lots of smiles when you move your student in because this is certainly an event to remember!
- Leave smiling and save the crying for later!
Dr. Michele Borba, parenting expert, provides an article with additonal information on how to say goodbye to your college bound teen. Remember your student is about to embark on an exciting new adventure! Be their biggest supporter! As Dr. Borba says, "Do keep in mind you're not losing a child. You're gaining an adult!"
Parents of New Students:
- Remember that college is a huge leap into adulthood. Allow your student to ask questions and locate critical information; resist intervening. Growing up takes time and space, and we all make mistakes and learn from them.
- Students need to learn to advocate for themselves, i.e. teach them how to be good self-advocates, rather than parents picking up the phone and handling the issue for them. Maturity is hard-won.
- Recognize that students will face challenges and will communicate about their uncertainties and anxieties. This is the time for parents to listen with open minds and hearts and ask their students to consider solutions to problems. Suggest that students meet with professors to ask questions about material, recommend a scheduled visit to the Counseling Center, and encourage involvement in clubs.
- New students cannot make schedule changes themselves until the semester begins. Students should consult with their advisors before making any schedule changes.
- Orientation Part 2 begins Friday, August 22. Critical information sessions are required for all new students and are not for parents or family members.
- Act to ensure that students who have learning disabilities and other disabilities are able to receive accommodations. Did your student have an IEP or 504 in high school? If they want accommodations in college, students must bring their IEP or 504 records to a meeting with the WCU Office of Services for Students with Disabilities. They should check this website for criteria and contact information: http://www.wcupa.edu/ussss/ossd/. College professors DO NOT have to provide accommodations unless students specifically register for and request them, and accommodations ARE NOT provided retroactively.
Encourage your student to GET INVOLVED!
WCU's annual Involvement Fair is being held on Wednesday, September 3 from 11am-3pm in the Academic Quad. With more than 265 campus clubs and organizations, your student is sure to find one that sparks their interest! Getting involved and joining an organization is a great way for students to make new friends and stay busy!
SAVE THE DATE!
WCU Foundation's Family Picnic
Saturday, September 27, Noon-2:00pm
School of Music Practice Field
Sponsored by the WCU Parents Fund
Join fellow WCU families in celebration of Family Weekend! Enjoy lively music, activities, prize drawings, picnic food, and more!
There will be PRIZE drawings for (2) $500 scholarship awards, and a $250 WCU Bookstore gift card.
For more information, visit: www.wcufoundation.org/FamilyPicnic
This is a sell-out event! Get your tickets beginning September, 1st!
Parents, stay in the know! Sign up for WCU ALERT, today!
Be sure to receive all WCU notifications! West Chester University's emergency notification system, WCU ALERT, sends text messages to cell phones (SMS), wireless PDAs, pagers, and e-mail addresses.
Through the WCU ALERT system, you will receive notifications regarding:
- on-campus emergencies
- class cancellations
- delayed openings
- university closings, etc.
Click here to subscribe and complete all required fields.
WCU Golden Rams Fall Sports Schedule
Visiting your student this semester? Don't forget to check out the sports schedules and help
us cheer on our Golden Rams! Check out the WCU Athletics website here.
Student Birthday Cake Packages
Nothing says "I'm thinking of you" more than sending a customized cake to your WCU student. Send a birthday cake to your student to let them know you are thinking of them on their special day! Made to order packages allow you to choose your cake and icing flavors as well as your personalized message!
Please contact Catering Sales Office at 610-436-3130, email@example.com, or wcucatering.catertrax.com to learn more about their different packages. Please provide 48 hours notice for preparation.
|Upcoming Campus Events
Graduate Open House
Wednesday, August 13 5:30-7:30pm
Sykes Student Union
Learn about WCU's 70+ master's, certificates and certification programs. Attendees will receive an application fee waiver. Register here.
RAM TRACKS Ice Cream Social
Tuesday, August 26 4:30-6:00pm
Students can build their own ice cream sundae while also engaging in activities and learning about resources for choosing a major! Staff members from several academic advising and career development offices will help students learn about possible majors and access information about career options!
Welcome Week - Lawrence Center Open House
Thursday, August 28 11am-1:00pm
Lawrence Center 2nd Floor
Above the dining hall there are a number of valuable student services offices that every student should know about and take advantage of! The open house will feature FOOD-PRIZES-and an opportunity to meet staff from the Career Center, Learning Assistance Resource Center, Pre-Major Advising Center, and more!
Purple & Gold Club Welcome Back Social!
Thursday, September 4th 6:30-8:00pm
All students are welcome to come celebrate the new school year with the Purple & Gold Club. There will be FREE Rita's Water Ice, a DJ playing requests, contests, prizes and give-a-ways. Tell your student to come on out to enjoy some fun before the year starts and make new friends!
Wednesday, September 10 11am-2pm
Is your student interested in giving back to the community? Tell them to attend the Volunteer Fair to meet with staff from 55+ non-profit agencies!
More information can be found, here.
WCU Family Weekend
Saturday, Sept. 27 & Sunday, Sept. 28
WCU welcomes parents and families of current students to visit during Family Weekend! Cheer on our Golden Rams at a sporting event, listen to the incomparable Golden Rams Marching Band, or enjoy strolling campus and town with your student!
More information will be available on the New Student Programs page in September.